Captain Carl Anthony Lind (1920-1989)

-by Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retired), Historian
          Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society




Carl was born June 28, 1920 as an American citizen in Romania, the tenth child born to John and Magdalena Lind, both of whom were also born in Romania near the Hungarian and Serbian borders. Prior to World War I, John Lind moved his family to Cincinnati, Ohio. He took his family back to Romania for visits after the war and that is where Carl was born. 

When Carl was 2½ years old, on December 7, 1922, the family returned to the United States. By April 1930, the family was living at 1509 Fairmount Avenue and Carl’s father and three older brothers were working in a shoe factory. Carl was 12 when his father died in 1933. 

Carl entered Elder High School in 1934 and participated in the Glee Club. He dropped out at the age of 15 to help support his fatherless family during The Depression, taking on a job with the Civilian Conservation Corp. He eventually finished high school and received a diploma from St. Martin De Porres High School. 

During 1937, Carl’s brother, Peter Lind, joined the Cincinnati Police Division. He was promoted to Sergeant in 1943 and Lieutenant in 1947. Before retiring in 1968, he had worked in Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 and Central Station.



In 1942, Chief Yeoman Francis J. Mikko, Cincinnati Recruiting Office, enrolled Carl in the United States Maritime Service. Carl completed training in St. Petersburg, Florida. 

On April 19, 1943, he enlisted in the United States Army. On April 26, 1943, he began basic training and marine service training at Charleston, South Carolina. For nine months he served as a Technician/4th Grade and Master of Motor Tow Launch, towing barges, transporting pilots, berthing and unberthing small vessels, and ship-to-shore service in Glascow, Ireland. He was promoted to Staff Sergeant and plied his specialty in Liverpool, England. He was then assigned to Port of Operations, Cherbourg, France as Master of Army Tugboat with added duties of moving troop-laden barges, harbor obstacle clearance, and rescue and distress work. Staff Sergeant Lind was diagnosed with a duodenum peptic ulcer, sent home, and honorably discharged on July 2, 1945 with a Good Conduct Medal, Unit Citation, Battle Star, and Bronze Star. 



For a brief time, during August 1945, Carl worked as a Small Parts Assembler at Wright Aero Company, but when the war suddenly ended with the atom bomb, his job was eliminated. For a couple of months, he worked as an Assembler at Huenefeld Stove Company and then the Railway Express Company.



On December 1, 1945, Carl followed his brother into the Cincinnati Police Division, joining the 15th Recruit Class, which included 39 men and Cincinnati’s first four Policewomen. After the first portion of their training at the Cincinnati Police Academy (314 Broadway), on February 16, 1946, Recruit Lind was assigned to the prestigious Highway Safety Bureau (City Hall). On the night before, his family of three became five when his wife, Helen Lind, gave birth to twins, Thomas A. Lind and Timothy R. Lind. 

Having completed his training, Patrolman Lind was transferred to District 2 (314 Broadway) on June 1, 1946. 

In 1948, Patrolman Lind’s nephew, Joseph Lind, joined the Police Division. He served twenty years in Districts 1, 3, 4, and 7 and Central Station.

Always a believer in education, during 1949 and 1950, Carl completed the Delehanty Correspondence School “Police Practice, Procedure, and Science” course.

On February 8, 1951, he transferred to District 5 (1024 York Street).



On September 30, 1951, after 5½ years as a Patrolman, he was promoted to Sergeant, issued Badge S-47, and assigned to District 7 (813 Beecher Street). During 1952, he completed the International City Managers Association “Municipal Police Administration” course.

Also in 1952, the city promoted Captain Stanley Schrotel to Police Chief, and he immediately instituted a semiannual performance evaluation system with ratings from 0 to 100. Perfect efficiency was considered to be unattainable. So, when on March 1, 1952, Sergeant Lind earned a 95% performance evaluation, it was extraordinary. It would also be the lowest of his career. 


On November 6, 1953, the Cincinnati Civil Service Commission announced that Sergeant Lind, having barely completed the two years necessary to compete, finished second in the Police Lieutenant promotional examination with a score of 94.28%. He was promoted on November 15, issued Badge L-19, and assigned to District 6 (3295 Erie Avenue).

Though a relief commander, he was not above ‘getting his hands dirty.’ He and two patrolmen responded to and broke up a bar fight at Hassi Mae’s Saloon at 2935 Eastern Avenue on October 9, 1954. All three suffered wounds, including Lieutenant Lind who was bitten several times. Of 50 patrons, most of whom escaped out windows, they arrested 19. 

On February 22, 1955, during a reorganizing of the Division and restructuring district boundaries, Lieutenant Lind transferred to the new District Four (7017 Vine Street). When Assistant Chief William C. Adams retired in September 1955, with the domino of promotions and transfers, Lieutenant Lind transferred to District 2. 

  • Vice Bureau Commander

Vice of all sorts was growing to untenable levels in Cincinnati. When Sergeant Russell Jones retired after 15 years as the Vice Squad Commander during the summer of 1957, Lieutenant Lind and Sergeant Charles Killinger were transferred to assume command of a new, larger Vice Control Bureau. Above Lieutenant Lind’s desk hung photographic depiction from Alexander Pope’s An Essay on Man, “Vice is a monster… of frightful men.” Lieutenant Lind went after gambling, liquor, narcotics, prostitution, and pornography with the same efficiency he had exhibited elsewhere thus far in his career.


On January 28, 1958, the Vice Control Bureau (VCB) seized 12 unlicensed coin-operated game machines at Union Terminal. They arrested a 31-year-old Delhi mother on February 28th for operating a racehorse bet clearing center from her home. Simultaneous raids were conducted at the WLW Bar and Bud’s Stag Café in the West End. On October 3rd, and several more stores were raided, and people cited for gambling. 

After gangland-like bombings of two ‘numbers racket’ locations on February 22, 1959, Chief Stanley Schrotel called Lieutenant Lind and directed his personal attention in attacking the corrupt system. Three kingpins and nine lieutenants were arrested almost immediately. Lieutenant Lind also wrote a 14-page history on the numbers racket and submitted it to City Council in order to bolster the Division’s plea for greater penalties, which they passed almost immediately. 

On January 30, 1960, Lieutenant Lind led a gambling raid on an Avondale club with over 100 people inside at 4:30 in the morning. Eighteen were arrested on 21 charges, including gambling, illegal liquor, and prostitution. The owner of the premises was arrested almost a week later for attempting to bribe one of Lieutenant Lind’s detectives.

In March 1960, the VCB seized ledger books including people and bets going back nine years. Gambling in Cincinnati came to a near standstill.

      • LIQUOR

At the time of his appointment to VCB there were about one thousand liquor permit holders from D-1 (beer only) to D-5 (night clubs) and C-1 and C-2 for carry-outs and pony kegs, all of which came under the responsibility of the VCB and Ohio Division of Liquor Control. Illegal and bootleg alcohol was also still a problem in Cincinnati.

On January 17, 1958, the VCB arrested a man at 416 Mill Street and confiscated nine half-gallon jugs of moonshine. On October 17th, Night Chief Francis Tolbert, Assistant Chief Jacob Schott, and Lieutenant Lind led a raid on the All Night Social at 830 Glenwood Avenue at 3:30 a.m. and arrested 13 people in the ‘afterhours joint.’ 

On March 31, 1959, VCB seized 37 gallons of moonshine and handed the case over to federal authorities.

By 1960, the Cincinnati Police Division was shouldering the bulk of the work intended for Ohio State Liquor Control agents. Of the 173 of Cincinnati’s liquor permit premises cited to the Ohio Department of Liquor Board, 96 were cited by the Police Division. Those did not include the thousands of arrests made in liquor establishments that could not be directly attributable to the bar management. 


In September 1957, Lieutenant Lind announced the investigation into the theft of 16 Cincinnati physicians’ ‘doctor bags,’ believed to be taken by dope addicts for a quick fix. By mid-October, they had made two arrests in the cases.

In February 1958, based on intelligence received from informants, Lieutenant Lind and the VCB staked out a Dayton airport, followed a man to a Dayton bus terminal, followed the bus to Cincinnati, and arrested the man at the Cincinnati bus station with three ounces of pure heroin which he intended to cut and sell here in 2500 capsules.

Also in February, in the first opium arrest in Cincinnati in years, the VCB Bureau arrested two men at 15th and Walnut Streets with two ounces of the illicit substance. It had been so long between opium arrests that no one in local or federal agencies could estimate the value of the seizure.

By August 1958, the VCB arrests for and seizures of heroin were so great that it was estimated that the city’s five hundred addicts were without a source to feed their addiction.

On January 31, 1959, the VCB went after doctors peddling barbiturates. They arrested one doctor, his receptionist, and a beautician where the pills were being distributed. Lieutenant Lind and the VCB petitioned the state to pass legislation to close loopholes in the narcotics laws. Through their intensive efforts, House Bill 785 was passed on July 29, 1959.

On May 25, 1960, the Bureau arrested 17 people for purchasing illegal amounts of paregoric to boil it down to its opium base.

During October and November 1960, two of the VCB detectives were loaned to Dayton to investigate a $10,000 southwestern Ohio dope ring. They not only smashed the dope ring, but rounded-up thieves, prostitutes, and shoplifters. After which, Dayton Police told The Enquirer that there were no more addicts left in Dayton. 


Within three weeks of Lieutenant Lind’s appointment, his first publicized foray into vice was a project that netted six prostitutes, including five housewives, in downtown hotels. On December 2, 1957, the VCB arrested two men and three women for ‘white slavery,’ a charged that had not appeared on any Municipal Court dockets for years. Lieutenant Lind led a raid into a harem of prostitutes in a posh apartment at 2215 Victory Parkway on November 23rd.

On August 11, 1959, the four male members of the singing group, The Platters, ages 26 to 31, were arrested at the Hotel Sheraton Gibson, with four prostitutes, all 19-year-olds, that they picked up in Newport, Kentucky.

Otherwise, VCB detectives arrested street prostitutes nightly.



On August 8, 1957, the VCB raided four stores: Main Street News Shop, Derby News Company, Cliff’s Confectionary, and Sontag’s Pharmacy. They cited their owners under a new Ohio “smut law.” On March 17, 1958, the VCB took 398 smut magazines from a news shop on Ludlow Avenue, Al’s Smoke Shop on Main Street, and a confectionary on West Fifth Street, and cited the three owners. 

By October 1958, Lieutenant Lind was going after distributors of smut magazines. On October 1st, he and six of his detectives raided the Marshal Distributing Company on Spring Grove and seized a truckload of indecent magazines. 

It was understood by the media that Lieutenant Lind would apply the ‘prurient interest’ test. If he decided it was smut, the VCB acted. By mid-December 1958, Lieutenant Lind had determined 14 magazines contained smut and provided the city’s dealers and distributors with a list of 25 magazines that might be smut and may therefore garner his bureau’s attention. He gave them until December 15th to get them out of their racks. Checks of several venues on the 16th showed that none of the magazines could be found. Soon after, however, on the 19th, King’s News stocked their racks with smut and the VCB took 2,700 magazines and cited the owner.

There was a continued effort to obtain public support for the work that he, the VCB, and advocates like Charles H. Keating, Jr. were doing. 

On March 15, 1960, Lind and his men raided King’s News again, this time confiscating 130 magazines and arresting Mr. King on Ohio’s felony statute.

On February 27 and 28, 1960, the second national conference of Citizens for Decent Literature was held in Cincinnati at the Netherland Hilton. Moderators for the workshop included Lieutenant Lind, Chief Schrotel, Juvenile Court Judge Benjamin Schwartz, Attorney Charles H. Keating, Jr., and other nationally known opponents of obscenity.


  • Spokesman

It is apparent that by 1958, Lieutenant Lind was more than just an investigative unit commander. He was a common spokesman for the Police Division regarding vice issues and other law enforcement topics. On January 31, 1958, he addressed the Norwood Masonic Lodge’s weekly luncheon, reviewing the Division’s operations. On February 17th, he addressed the Pleasant Ridge-Kennedy Heights Kiwanis Club regarding ‘police department matters.’ On September 9, 1958, he had a speaking engagement at the Hotel Sheraton for the Buckeye Club. He spoke on “citizens cooperation” at the Pilot Club of Cincinnati meeting in the Hotel Sheraton Gibson on November 19, 1958. On June 1, 1959, he spoke to “Police Role in Enforcement of Obscene Literature Laws” at the Cincinnati Civic Club in the Hotel Sheraton Gibson.

Having successfully established the “Quadrant System” to replace the obsolete “General Alarm” system in Hamilton County, on February 24, 1960, the Hamilton County Police Association and Cincinnati Police Division solicited expansion of the system into northern Kentucky. One of the men Chief Schrotel brought with him to negotiate interstate cooperation was Lieutenant Lind. Other notable Cincinnati names included future Cincinnati Police Chief Lieutenant Colonel Jacob Schott, future Safety Director Lieutenant Colonel Henry Sandman, and Sheriff Dan Tehan. Clearly, Lieutenant Lind was becoming more involved in administrative affairs than the typical Police Lieutenant.



On November 1, 1959, Lieutenant Lind announced that vice in Cincinnati was at an all-time low. Handbook operations were down 90% from their heyday in the 1940s. He estimated that only 50 bookies remained in the city. Narcotics traffic was almost at a standstill with addicts going out of town for their supply. Prostitution arrests were expected to be less than the year before. Numbers betting was far below normal. Word had gotten around that vice is not desired in Cincinnati.

Since March 1958, he had been receiving consistent performance evaluations of 96%.

  • Relief Commander

After almost four years of working nights and dealing with the lowest level of humanity, Lieutenant Lind requested a transfer. The chief was reticent but transferred him to District 2 (314 Broadway) on March 19, 1961. 

  • Crime Bureau

After three years, Chief of Detectives Henry Sandman had Lieutenant Lind transferred to the Crime Bureau at Headquarters on March 8, 1964 to command his Larceny Investigation Squad. 

Once again, he personally got involved with his squad’s investigative activities. On October 16, 1964, after a series of robberies in the Over-the-Rhine involving the serious beating of women, Detective William Dunn and Lieutenant Lind were driving in the Over-the-Rhine when they saw a suspect chasing after a female after a foiled robbery attempt in the 1300 Block of Walnut Street. The two gave chase and caught the robber half a block away.

On November 14, 1964, Lieutenant Lind testified as an expert witness as to the use of paraffin tests in a homicide investigation.

On February 2, 1965, Chief Schrotel assigned Lieutenant Lind to study the practice of holding “lineups” and make recommendations regarding retaining the age-old practice or dispensing with it. No one in the Crime Bureau could even remember when it began, but all people who were arrested for felonies or vice offenses were paraded the next morning before the Division’s detectives in order for them to see if they fit any profiles of the cases they were investigating.

On April 1, 1965, he announced the end of a three-month undercover investigation and arrest into a TV repair fraud where “hustlers” were assigned the task of finding televisions in need of minor repairs. They would then bring them to a repair facility and the repair facility would charge for unnecessary repairs or exaggerated charges.

At the end of 1965, after only 1½ years in his new position, his performance rating was assessed at 98%.

On March 21, 1966, the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce announced their first annual Police Appreciation Awards and Lieutenant Lind was awarded the Academic Achievement Award for his “continued study and maintaining and A-average in police studies at the University of Cincinnati, In May, the Chamber further awarded him $100 to continue his studies.


The Cincinnati Post reported on October 28, 1966 that as a result of Chief Schrotel’s retirement, an assistant chief would be promoted, and Lieutenant Lind was next out on the promotional list to be promoted to Captain. 

Acting Chief of Detectives

On December 23, 1966, the new Chief, Jacob Schott, named Lieutenant Lind as Acting Chief of Detectives at City Hall until a new Assistant Chief could physically assume the duties. The heir apparent was Assistant Chief Welz who was currently off duty with a long-term malady. Lieutenant Lind was promoted to Police Captain on January 11, 1967. 

On January 25, 1967, after an issue of felons ‘lost’ in the transition between Municipal Court and the Court of Common Pleas, Captain Lind was appointed as the official liaison between the Hamilton County Sheriff and Cincinnati Municipal Court.

  • Night Chief

On February 20, 1967, Lieutenant Colonel Welz assumed his new duties and Captain Lind was then assigned as Night Chief at 310 Lincoln Park Drive.

On March 27, 1967, after a couple of serious assaults in the University of Cincinnati area, the Chief assigned Captain Lind to meet with the University and Police officials to plan a response.

  • Deputy Patrol Bureau Commander

On May 14, 1967, the Chief transferred him to the Patrol Bureau as the Deputy Patrol Bureau Commander.

On June 12, 1967, when the race riots broke out in Cincinnati, Captain Lind found himself as one of six field commanders. When the rioting began to ease during mid-afternoon on the 13th, he was placed in charge of the Forward Command Post. He served as such until the early morning hours and then again on the 14th.

When the incendiary Governor George Wallace was scheduled to speak in Cincinnati on November 14, 1967, Captain Lind was appointed to create a police detail to protect him.

When antiwar/anti-draft protestors were anticipated at the Federal Building in December 1967, Captain Lind was the ranking member of the delegation that met with federal officials to plan their reaction to the event and any permutations resulting from it.

Captain Lind was again the incident commander at the riot at the Hamilton County Jail on Christmas Day 1967. News accounts indicate that even when Sheriff Dan Tehan arrived, he deferred to Captain Lind to command the involved patrolmen and sheriff’s deputies.

  • Acting Chief of Detectives

When Lieutenant Colonel Welz retired on January 19, 1968, Captain Lind was again assigned by Chief Schott as Acting Chief of Detectives until a new assistant chief was appointed. 

Within two weeks, on January 31st, he was working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to conduct simultaneous raids by special agents and 60 patrolmen on five ‘handbooks’ in Cincinnati and Covington. 

After four months, On May 12, 1968, he returned to his Assistant Patrol Bureau Commander duties. On June 20, 1968, when a 3-year-old girl was reported missing, Captain Lind coordinated hundreds of officers and volunteers who turned out for the search.

  • District Three Commander

After two years at Headquarters, on February 23, 1969, Captain Lind transferred to District 3 (3201 Warsaw Avenue). While there, he represented the Division at numerous community meetings and presentations on various law enforcement topics. 

On February 28, 1969, Captain Lind was initiated into University of Cincinnati’s Beta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Lambda Scholarship Honorarium for their Evening College. In June, he was awarded an Associate of Arts degree.

Also in June, he was a member of a fact-finding board regarding allegations of excessive use of force by one or two officers. This was at least the third time he was chosen to be a member of such a board.

  • Criminal Investigation Section Commander

On June 22, 1969, as a result of recommendations from a $60,000 International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) survey, the Crime Bureau moved out of City Hall to 222 E. Central Parkway and was redesignated the Criminal Investigation Section (CIS). Captain Lind was assigned as the new section’s first commander.

On September 24, 1969, four women were executed in the vault of Delhi Township’s Cabinet Supreme Savings and Loan Association in the worst bank robbery in the history of Greater Cincinnati. Delhi Township Police Chief Howard Makin requested assistance. The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, FBI, and Captain Lind responded with detectives and special agents. By September 28th, due mostly to the efforts of Cincinnati’s Robbery Squad, Regional Crime Information Center, and a New Mexico State Patrolman, all four perpetrators were in custody.

On October 22, 1969, Mr. and Mrs. Martin G. Dumler II were killed in a high-profile case in Mt. Lookout. Captain Lind also managed that investigation. It was an intensive investigation which unfortunately did not solve the crime.

He also managed the investigation into and arrest and conviction for the ambush shooting of Cincinnati Patrolman Edmund Schindler on August 23, 1970. 

The Regional Crime Information Center, established in 1969, gave Captain Lind another tool besides finding criminals. He was able to quickly discern numbers and do statistical analyses. He reported that by 1971, all crime was increasing at a dramatic pace, but especially property crime. Burglaries increased 55% in three years. On February 6, 1971, Captain Lind and the Division created a 60-man squad called the Crimes Against Property Unit. The Homicide and Robbery Squads each were augmented by two more detectives, and seven detectives were assigned to work at night. 

It was his first foray into crime and management analysis and would be his legacy from then on.

  • Administrative Assistant to the Chief

On March 7, 1971, Captain Lind was transferred to the Chief’s Office to become the Administrative Assistant to the Chief.

During July 1971, Captain Lind’s son, Thomas A. Lind, joined the Police Division as a civilian employee, beginning a legacy of his own. He transferred to the 58th Police Recruit Class and was promoted to Patrolman inFebruary of 1973, and later to Sergeant. Sergeant Lind helped lead the Division and City government into the information technology era. He helped plan, implement, and manage the first local area network at Police Headquarters, then connecting it to the City’s first wide area network, and chaired the City’s first Architectural Workgroup. He participated in the implementation of the nation’s first law enforcement agency website and with it the first electronic line-of-duty death memorial site. Like his father, he finished his career as a civilian and retired with fifty-one- and one-half years of service to his country and community.

On June 4, 1972, Captain Lind was awarded a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from the University of Cincinnati.



The Police Division determined to add a Program Management Bureau with a civilian director funded by a $1.9 Million grant from the National Police Foundation, primarily to manage the newly implemented Community Sector Policing (Comm-Sec) program began in District 1. Hundreds of people applied for the new position and forty were seriously vetted.

Captain Lind retired on July 1, 1972 with 26½ years of service as a law enforcement officer and 73 letters of appreciation and/or commendation, including four from Cincinnati chiefs and others from the Indian Hill Police Chief, Hamilton County Sheriff, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, Hamilton County Coroner, Cincinnati Safety Director, Chief Enforcement Officer of the Ohio State Liquor Control, Ohio Attorney General, United States Attorney General Robert Kennedy, and Miami, Florida Chief of Detectives.

The next day, on July 1, 1972, he returned to the Division as the civilian director of the new Program Management Bureau. His new bureau contained the Research and Development Section and Fiscal and Budget Section. The position was a two-year commitment but lasted 13 years under Chiefs Carl V. Goodin and Myron J. Leistler.

In September 1972, City Manager E. Robert Turner named Director Lind to a three-man task force to review various pending city handgun control proposals.

On October 30, 1975, Director Lind announced that Comm-Sec would be expanded to District 5 and that all they were waiting on was support equipment, including vehicles and radios.

On December 31, 1975, Director Lind attained a previously perceived unattainable rating of 100%. He maintained that proficiency for the rest of his career.

To illustrate the importance of Director Lind, during March 1976, City Councilman James T. Luken, in a politically charged assertion, alleged that Director Lind was “the de facto police chief” and that, “using his authority as assistant to the Safety Director, he [had] effective control over the Police Chief.” Luken added, “as far as I am concerned, he IS the police chief.” It was nonsense, but Chief Leistler did rely upon him more than his other bureau chiefs. 

During March 18 through 24, 1979 Director Lind completed the Northwestern University Traffic Institute (NUTI) “Police Budget Preparation Workshop.”

On December 31, 1982, when giving Director Lind another 100% percentile rating, Police Chief Myron J. Leistler wrote, “Probably the most competent individual with whom I have been associated in 39 years in law enforcement.” In 1984, he wrote, “It’s difficult to put into words what this man has meant to the Police Division. ‘Indispensable’ comes close.”


Captain Lind retired again in 1985, with a total 42 years of service to his country and community. 

Captain Lind died September 21, 1989 at the age of 69 at Anderson Mercy Hospital due to complications from Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. 

He was predeceased by his son, Timothy Lind; siblings Leopold (Barbara) Lind, Agnes Magdalena Lind, Agnes Lind, Joseph (Violet) Lind. Paulina Lind, Cincinnati Fire Lieutenant John (Clara) Lind, Jr., and Carl Stephan Lind.

Captain Lind was survived by his wife, Helen R. Lind; children, Karen J. (Ross) Geiger, Police Specialist Thomas A. (Vicki) Lind, Judith R. (Tim) Bollinger, Cincinnati Police Clerk Veronica Kim (Bill) Giglio, John T. Lind, and Cincinnati Water Works Meter Reader Carla Lee Walters; brothers, Cincinnati Police Lieutenant Peter Lind, Cincinnati Water Works Clerk Stephen Lind; and 15 grandchildren


In 2013, Director Lind’s family became aware of his truncated attendance at Elder High School. They contacted the principal, Thomas Otten, who researched the records and found that he had indeed attended, was a good student, and left after two years. Mr. Otten was well aware of Captain Lind, his tenure as District 3 Commander, and some of his accomplishments, especially in education. On June 30, 2013, he issued Carl A. Lind an honorary diploma, one of only 24 ever issued by Elder High School.

To complete the legacy – so far – Captain Lind’s great-grandnephews (Patrolman Joseph Lind’s grandsons) also joined the Police Department. Robert J. Lind joined in 2005 and now serves as a Police Sergeant. Christopher Lind joined as a Police Officer in 2021.

His son, retired Sergeant Thomas A Lind, is the Webmaster for the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society and still maintains the electronic Memorial Page on the Society’s website, as well as the memorial websites of the Cincinnati Police Department and Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office. 

Captain Lind’s grandnephew, retired Superintendent of Operations for the Southern Ohio Region Transportation Authority (SORTA) Philip L. Lind (Patrolman Lind’s son) has served for decades as Secretary, Treasurer, and Registrar for the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society and Museum.


© This biography was researched and created on December 3, 2023 by Cincinnati Police Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Museum Historian, with some input from Cincinnati Police Sergeant Thomas A. Lind (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society Webmaster. All rights are reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum.