Merchant Policeman Albert Doyle | Newport Merchant Police

Age: 44
Served: About 10 years
1918 to November 5, 1928


Albert Doyle lived with his wife and three children at 713 Weingartner Place in Newport. Up to 1918, he was a shirt maker, but then went to work as a guard at a steel plant. By 1920 he was a watchman and by 1923 a Merchant Policeman. He was well respected and recognized as one who had protected the merchants of Monmouth from loss. In doing so, he had a few close calls with some aggressive would be thieves.

Such was the case about 2:20 a.m., on Sunday morning, November 4, 1928. While patrolling his beat, Policeman Doyle came across a suspicious auto parked at the Herman Jacobs & Company clothing store on the southeast corner of Eight and Monmouth Streets. He approached the car and found two men trying to pry open a rear door near Dayton Street.

Policeman Doyle drew his revolver, but a lookout he had not seen standing in the shadows near the Citizens Bank and Trust Company shot him in the back. Though wounded and falling, Policeman Doyle turned and shot five times at the lookout. The lookout continued shooting and the other burglars shot at the officer. Later Doyle would say that he believed that he struck the lookout once. Otherwise, none of the shots took effect in any direction.

The shooters jumped into the auto and sped away. Newport Police hastened to the scene and called an ambulance that took Policeman Doyle to St. Elizabeth Hospital with a bullet lodged in his abdomen.

By Monday, Policeman Doyle appeared to be improving. But his condition deteriorated Wednesday and died late that night on November 7, 1928.

Policeman Doyle was survived by his wife Mayme and three children; Evelyin Doyle (3), Edna Mae Doyle (2), and Robert Doyle (1). His funeral was at St. Stephen Church where he belonged to Lodge No. 1301 of the Knights of Columbus. He was buried in Mother of God Cemetery.

Clues in the case dissipated quickly. Two men were questioned on November 15, 1928 in Montgomery, Alabama after being arrested there in a car stolen from Fort Thomas. They were released, but led police to three other men. Those men were arrested and even charged; but the charges were dropped in the spring of 1929.

Finally, Foreman Price, Herman “Gerky” Finan, and Theodore (aka Terry) Turner were found and identified as the killers. They were indicted for the murder by the Campbell County Grand Jury, but were, at the time, incarcerated and waiting for trials elsewhere.

Turner was charged in Bourbon County and convicted as a habitual felon and sentenced to life imprisonment. Finan was also convicted as a habitual felon, but received only a five year sentence.

Price was awaiting trial and being held with Turner in the Jefferson County Jail in Louisville. They escaped together during May 1929. Price was recaptured in October 1929 by the Cincinnati Police Department and he was charged with a series of Kentucky robberies committed after his escape.

Turner was recaptured later and, on January 1, 1931, he escaped from the Frankfort State Reformatory with John Dougherty, a convicted murderer. Both were captured in Louisville April 1, 1931 and returned to the reformatory.

It is unknown what penalty Price received, but it is apparent that not one of the three were ever prosecuted for the murder of Policeman Doyle.
If you have information, artifacts, archives, or images regarding this officer or incident, please contact the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum at


This narrative was created July 10, 2013, by Cincinnati Police Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retrired), Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society President, based on the rediscovery of his murder and further research by Cincinnati Homicide Detective Edward Zieverink (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Museum Historian. All rights are reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society.