Deputy Sheriff Robert A. Grubbs | Dearborn County Sheriff’s Office


Age:        32
Served:    6 months
December 1942 to June 2, 1943



On June 2, 1943, Russell Scarborough (40) and his wife, Mabel (35), were involved in a domestic dispute over money at their farm on Rural Route 3 near Harrison, Indiana.  Scarborough had a .32 caliber revolver.  William Ray Siler (33), a man who boarded at a Cincinnati rooming house that Scarborough also owned, was at the farm and interceded with a shotgun.  Scarborough took two shots at Siler and Siler unloaded buckshot into Scarborough’s cheek, left arm, chest, and hand.  Scarborough was taken to Christ Hospital in Cincinnati and Siler fled.

Sheriff Arthur Voit and Deputy Grubbs went to the Scarborough farm later to see if they could locate Siler.  When Deputy Grubbs reached into the back seat to retrieve a twelve-gauge shotgun, it discharged striking him in the right chest.

Sheriff Voit rushed him immediately to Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati.



Deputy Sheriff Grubbs died just before they arrived at the hospital.

He was predeceased by his first wife, Bonnie Grubbs.  Deputy Grubbs was survived by his second wife, Ellen Grubbs; children, Alice Jean Grubbs and Sidney Allen Grubbs; and a twin brother, Russell Grubbs (who was at the time serving in the United States Army during World War II).  Deputy Grubbs was buried in the Gibson Cemetery in Bright on June 6, 1943.



Sheriff Voit filed a charge of Assault with Intent to Commit a Felony against Siler.  He was arrested on the night of June 3, 1943 in Cincinnati by Lieutenant John Oman and Detectives William Rathman, Harry Wilke, and Benjamin Schaefer.

Siler admitted to the officers that he had shot Scarborough and he was taken to the Dearborn County Jail.  Scarborough refused to assist in the investigation of the incident.  The final disposition is not known, but we believe Siler was acquitted or not prosecuted.


If you know of information, artifacts, archives, or images regarding this officer or incident, please contact the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum at

This narrative was further researched and revised on June 6, 2013 by retired Cincinnati Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society President with assistance from Chris McHenry of the Lawrenceburg Library; SORTA Operations Superintendent Philip Lind, Greater Cincinnati Police Museum Registrar; and Cincinnati Homicide Detective Edward W. Zieverink III, Greater Cincinnati Police Museum Historian.  All rights are reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum.