Police Specialist Ronald Jeter / Police Officer Daniel Pope | Cincinnati Police Department

Jeter PAGE
Jeter BadgePolice Specialist Ronald Jeter
Badge: PS121
Age: 34
Served: 4¾ years
February 7, 1993 to December 6, 1997





Pope PAGEPope BadgePolice Officer Daniel Pope
Badge: 256
Age: 35
Served: 6 years
September 15, 1991 to December 5, 1997






On December 3, 1997, at 23 West Hollister Street, Alana Strother was having problems with her boyfriend, 20-year-old Alonzo Davenport. At the culmination of these problems, Davenport fired a shot through her rear door.

The next night, on December 4, 1997 at 9:41 p.m., plain-clothed officers Specialist Jeter and Officer Pope and uniformed Officer Shyane Baker responded to 23 West Hollister Street for a report of an assault and a man with a gun. This time, Miss Strother reported that Davenport had held a gun to her head and threatened to kill her. By now, Davenport had warrants outstanding against him for Felony Domestic Violence and several misdemeanors. Several officers tried to find and apprehend Davenport during the night, but to no avail.

On December 5, 1997, at 11:55 p.m., Specialist Jeter and Officer Pope parked their undercover police vehicle in the area and walked to 23 West Hollister in another attempt to find and arrest Davenport.

Davenport, Angela Mills, Lisa McCollum, and Marvin Jones were inside his apartment at 23 West Hollister. Davenport looked out the front bedroom window and saw the officers approach, but after a few minutes he thought they had left.

A few minutes later, Specialist Jeter and Officer Pope knocked on the door. Davenport walked to a recliner and retrieved a Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special revolver (which had been stolen years before). He walked to the door and asked, “Who is it?”, while placing the handgun in the small of his back. The officers asked if Davenport was there and Davenport opened the door and allowed the officers to walk into the apartment. Officer Pope’s attention was immediately drawn to Jones who was smoking a marijuana cigarette. Davenport identified himself as “Keith” to Specialist Jeter, but Specialist Jeter was not fooled and ordered Davenport to put his hands behind his back.

Davenport initially complied, but then he began flailing his arms and resisting being handcuffed. Officer Pope came to his partner’s assistance. Specialist Jeter took hold of Davenport’s right arm and Officer Pope took his left. Davenport yelled, “F— you all, man! F— you all! I ain’t gotta do s—.” He managed to free his right arm, reach into the waistband, and pull the revolver. Specialist Jeter yelled, “Gun! Gun!” and Davenport fired twice, striking each officer in the head. He then left the apartment.

Jones called 9-1-1 at 11:57 p.m. and advised Police Communications Section that two undercover officers were down at his location.

Davenport ran up West Hollister Street, gun in hand. He continued running to West McMillan Street near Scioto Street. Several other plain-clothed police officers were in the area of Calhoun and they saw Davenport running across Calhoun Street and into the Saint George Church parking lot. They did not see Davenport’s revolver, nor could they know two policemen had been shot, but his actions aroused Police Officer Brian Ibold’s suspicions. Officer Ibold drove near Davenport and identified himself as a police officer. Davenport took off running again and Police Officers Tim Campbell and Amy Abney gave chase. It was clear to the officers that he had done something.

As they ran into Classen Park at 2557 Jefferson Avenue, Davenport abruptly stopped, turned, reached into his waistband, withdrew his revolver, placed it to his right temple, and pulled the trigger. The resulting shot caused his instant death.

Officer Pope was already dead when officers arrived on West Hollister. Specialist Jeter was transported to University Hospital and died soon thereafter during the early morning hours on December 6, 1997.

Officer Pope left a wife, Cincinnati Fire Fighter Linda Pope. He was also survived by his father, a retired police officer, and mother. A Mass of Christian Burial was held on December 10, 1997 at the Cathedral of Saint Peter in Chains. There were so many officers in attendance that half were ushered to the nearby Cincinnati Convention Center where the Mass was broadcast on closed caption television. Pall Bearers included Paul Weber, Bob Pope, Chris Metzner, and Police Officers Tim Haines, Christopher Ruehmer, and Mike Drexelius. He was cremated and Mrs. Pope scattered his ashes.

Jeter GraveSpecialist Jeter, a former United States Marine, was survived by his mother, a fiancée, and three children. He was laid out at the Thompson, Hall, and Jordan Funeral Home on Gilbert Avenue on December 11, 1997. The next day, more than a thousand police officers in hundreds of cars escorted him north on Interstate 71 to funeral services at the Rhema Christian Center on Agler Road in Columbus, Ohio. On the expressway, every entrance was closed and there were firemen, policemen, and citizens saluting at every overpass. He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Columbus.

The Police Division immediately retired Badge Numbers PS121 and P256.

This was the first time in 10½ years that a Cincinnati Police Officer had been murdered. Police Officer Clifford George was shot to death 1500 feet south of 23 W. Hollister on April 16, 1987. Not since 1846 had ten years passed between murders of Cincinnati officers. Another, Police Officer Kevin Crayon, was killed in 2000 and none again until 2015.

If you have information, artifacts, archives, or images of these officers or incidents, please contact the Museum Director at Director@police-museum.org.


This narrative was researched and revised on November 22, 2012 by Cincinnati Police Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society President, with anecdotal input from Police Officer Tim Campbell and Green Township Corporal Brian Ibold. All rights are reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society.

Photos of badges by Lietuenant Stephen R. Kramer and Sergeant Thomas A. Lind 12/6/1997 and of grave by retired Lieutenant Stephen Kramer 2012. All rights reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society