Ed was born February 14, 1942, the third of four children born to Virgil Vernon and Florence B. Rowley. He graduated from Elder High School in June 1960. Ed also attended night school at Xavier University and the University of Cincinnati from 1963 and 1967.
While attending high school he delivered newspapers from July 1957 to February 1960. While in college, he worked as a service station attendant at Glenway and Boudinot Avenues until April 1961 and then served as an officer manager until November 1967.
Ed joined the Cincinnati Police Division on November 19, 1967 as a Police Recruit. On February 26, 1968, he was promoted to Patrolman, issued Badge 621, and assigned to District 5 (1012 Ludlow Avenue). Patrolman Rowley was transferred on June 18, 1972 to Traffic Section (314 Broadway). He transferred back to District 5 on November 5, 1972. He was promoted to Sergeant on June 19, 1977, issued Badge S-140, and assigned to District 3 (3201 Warsaw Avenue). Sergeant Rowley was rotated to District 4 (4150 Reading Road) on November 4, 1979. He transferred back to District 5 on April 17, 1983. During his last several years, he served as the District Commanders’ Administrative Assistant. Sergeant Rowley retired January 16, 1993 with 25 years of service and twelve letters of appreciation and/or commendation.
Sergeant Rowley died in the morning of March 13, 2023 at the age of 81.
He was predeceased by his siblings, John Rowley, Charles “Chuck” Rowley, and Mary Lou Eschman. Sergeant Rowley is survived by his wife of 58 years, Diane Virginia (Wood) Rowley, and sons, Christopher (Lisa) Edward Rowley and Daniel (Kim) Rowley.
Visitation will be held 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 23, 2023, at the Neidhard Minges Funeral Home at 3155 Harrison Avenue in Cheviot. An FOP Service will be held at 9:15 a.m. A Memorial Mass will be heard at 10 a.m. at St. Bernard of Clairvaux Church at 7130 Harrison Avenue in Taylor’s Creek.
Memorials may be made to Hospice of Cincinnati, 4360 Cooper Road, Cincinnati, OH 4542.π
© 2023 – All rights reserved to LT Stephen R. Kramer RET and the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum