Police Chief Kenneth Neal Yaden, Jr (1944-2023)


Ken was born October 31, 1944, in Hayes, Kansas, to Kenneth Neil Yaden, Sr. and Rosetta (Green) Yaden where they were stationed during World War II. Shortly after his birth, his mother brought him to Covington. During 1954, the family moved to Elsmere. Ken attended Lloyd Memorial High School, where he was Captain of the football team. He was also a member of the Rod and Gun Club, History Club, Library Club, Chorus, Red Cross, and participated in Track. He was later elected to the school’s hall of fame.

After high school, at17, his parents agreed to sign for Kent to enlist in the United States Navy, where he served as a submariner. Ken was honorably discharged with a United States Expeditionary Medal.

He then attended Eastern Kentucky University, University of Virginia, and Thomas More College.

 Ken joined the Erlanger Police Department as a Patrolman during August 1966. At some point, he was promoted to Sergeant, and then on June 17, 1970, to Lieutenant. Lieutenant Yaden was elected Inner Guard of the Kenton Lodge No. 20 of the FOP in 1971. During 1973 he completed a collegiate-level supervision course at Northern Kentucky University, was promoted to Captain, elected Vice President of the FOP lodge, and elected Secretary of the Northern Kentucky Chiefs of Police Association. By January 1975, he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel/Assistant Chief. Also during 1975 he was the first officer in his department to attend the FBI National Academy and served as the first director of the Northern Kentucky Drug Strike Force, until at least 1977. Ken was promoted to Police Chief on April 15, 1986. During 1989, he established the D.A.R.E program in Erlanger Elsmere Schools in 1989. Chief Yaden also served as President of the FBI National Academy Alumni, Kentucky Chapter and was the co-author of the ‘Silent Alarm’ Program for Northern Kentucky Financial Institutions. Chief Yaden retired on October 1, 1990.

Within a year, he was serving on the Erlanger City Council and continued until 2002. Chief Yaden served his country and community for 39 years.

Chief Yaden and his wife moved to Sun City Florida in 2014.  He died there on April 24, 2023. He was 78.

Chief Yaden was predeceased by his parents and a son, Kenneth Neal (Ligia) Yaden III (2008). He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Roberta “Bobbie” (Maue) Yaden; son, Brian (Luna) Yaden; grandchildren, Joseph, Maximus, Patricia, and Lourdes; and stepfather, Donald L. Green. Funeral services were private. He is interred in Dry Ridge with other family members.


© 2023 – All rights reserved to LT Stephen R. Kramer RET and the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum



Leave a Comment