Wyoming Marshall George Kloster

Wyoming Marshal Kloster
Wyoming Marshal Kloster

Age: 43
Served: 13 years
1899 to May 3, 1912

George Kloster emigrated from Germany during 1888 and settled in Wyoming, Ohio. Ten years later, on January 24, 1898, he was the victim of a burglary where $12 was taken from the room where he boarded. Within a year of the burglary, he joined the Wyoming Police Force. By 1906, he was elected to the position of Village Marshal. Also, during that year, he married a widow, Elizabeth Reisinger, who had two children by a previous marriage.

On May 2, 1912, Wyoming citizen Henry Van Rohr reported to Marshal Kloster that a suspicious man was loitering in a field on Cooper Avenue. Eleven months prior, a female had been attacked there in a much publicized case.

At 10:45 p.m., Marshal Kloster responded to the field and approached the suspicious man. When he was within a few feet, the man pulled a revolver and shot Marshal Kloster from close range in his right side. The man ran away and Marshal Kloster emptied his own revolver at him as he disappeared in the darkness. Marshal Kloster was certain that one or more of his shots took effect.

Night Patrolman George Distler and a number of Wyoming citizens carried Marshal Kloster to the Mayor’s Office and called for Doctors Gillespie and Davis to respond. They determined he was in very serious condition and directed that he be immediately taken to the hospital.

Patrolman Distler called the Cincinnati Police Department’s Night Chief, Lieutenant Louis Renkert, who dispatched a City car to transport him. They also collected Mrs. Kloster and her two children who rode in the back seat with Marshal Kloster. Immediately upon arrival at Jewish Hospital, he underwent surgery.

The Acting Mayor, Vice Mayor Albert Reichman, notified Lockland Marshal Handley who brought bloodhounds to the Cooper Avenue field, but the hounds’ search failed to turn up a trail.

Marshal Kloster died at 3:15 a.m. the next morning, May 3, 1912, due to shock and hemorrhage from the wounds to his chest and abdomen, including one that destroyed his liver.

Marshal Kloster left his wife, Elizabeth (Bruns-Reisinger) (46), and two step children, Edith Reisinger (20) and John Reisinger (19). His funeral was held at his residence at 330 Crescent Avenue at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, May 6, 1912. A High Requiem Mass was celebrated at Saint James of the Valley at 9 a.m. He was buried thereafter in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Saint Bernard.

Former Cincinnati Police Chief William H. Jackson was brought in to head up the investigation into the marshal’s murder. Several suspects were potentially identified, including one who had apparently been wounded. By July 1912, William Ellison of Lockland was determined to be a viable suspect, having been arrested for two other crimes of violence and, when arrested, had a healed bullet wound and two bullet holes in a coat in his possession. On July 18, 1912, he was sentenced to 20 years of hard labor for an unrelated Robbery. It appears that neither he, nor anyone else, was ever charged with Marshal Kloster’s murder.

Elizabeth, having lost two husbands in less than ten years, never remarried. She would later move in with her brother, John, and still later with her married daughter Edith Steinwert. She died at 78 during 1941 and is buried with her daughter in St. Joseph (Old) Cemetery.
If you have information, artifacts, archives, or images regarding this officer or incident, please contact the Greater Cincinnati Police Museum at memorial@police-museum.org.
This narrative was revised on January 6, 2014 by Cincinnati Police Lieutenant Stephen R. Kramer (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society President, based on his research and that which was provided by Cincinnati Police Homicide Detective Edward P. Zieverink III (Retired), Greater Cincinnati Police Museum Historian. All rights are reserved to them and the Greater Cincinnati Police Historical Society.